Ever since Camryn was a baby she has been fearful of the water. This past summer she was finally able to touch in our backyard pool and so Casey started working with her on holding onto the side and kicking her feet, thinking that we would be able to teach her how to swim at home. That was about as far as we got with swimming lessons at home, mostly because of her fear of the water. We decided to leave it up to the professionals and signed Camryn up for swimming lessons at the Recreation Center here in Rochester. So far she has had 3 lessons and it has been beyond cute to watch her and her instructor interact. Camryn has never had to deal with other adults (other than relatives) telling her what to do and so watching her try to argue her way through these lessons has been nothing short of comedic. From across the pool we watched as her instructor, Alana, tried to get Camryn to put her face in the water to blow bubbles. I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I watched her put her nose quickly in and out of the water and then put her hands up as if to say, "there, I did it.". She is making progress though, last night I watched her jump off the side of the pool into Alana's arms (Alana let her go under water for a split second to get her hair wet...we did not see Camryn attempt this again for the rest of the lesson, hehe!). I ask Camryn every night after her lesson how she felt it went, the first night she told me that she kept trying to suggest other things they should do in the pool, but Alana told her they needed to stick to the lesson. The second night I wasn't able to go with and so when she got home she told me I would be so proud of her to see how far she put her face under water! And last night she said she didn't like going under water, but Alana said she had to, but only if she was comfortable...Camryn said she told her right back that she wasn't comfortable and so she didn't want to do that anymore. And so, the battle continues...I'm hopeful that Camryn will continue to get comfortable in the pool and by the end of her 6 weeks we will be able to move her onto the next level of lessons, fingers crossed!!
wautoma 2012
13 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment