After our garage sale was a complete bust this past weekend (as far as selling any of our baby stuff), I decided to try to sell some of our baby items on Craigslist. To my delight, a few days after posting the ads I got a call from someone who was interested in the crib. As I was talking with the person about the crib, I got a funny feeling about the caller.
First of all, the call came from Iowa and I thought to myself, "who in their right mind would come all the way here to buy a crib from Iowa, I'm sure there are plenty of good deals in Iowa". The second thing was that the caller had an accent that I couldn't place, but knew it wasn't an American accent. The third thing that got me was that they wanted to come the next day after I had told her that I do daycare and would be home all day. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I have heard a ton of horror stories about killers preying on people who sell stuff on Craigslist.
After I got off of the phone I thought to myself "Oh my God, what a mistake to tell the person that I do daycare and that I will be home all day!". So, like the paranoid schizophrenic that I am, I wrote down the callers name and their phone number as it showed up in my caller ID and gave it to Casey so that in case this person came to kill me he would have something to go by. AND because I am really paranoid, I then called my mom, who had already planned on coming to my house to visit with the kids, and asked her to make sure that she would be here when this person came to look at the crib...just in case.
OK, so here is where it gets good. The person comes to my door and I tried so hard not to bust out laughing and actually contained my laughter. My mom, on the other hand, went straight downstairs giggling and answered her phone and told my sister all about the person who was at the door. See, the person who came to the door was either an Amish or Mennonite woman. Yeah. I was all paranoid over this small little woman, who wore a bonnet and a her Sunday best and who was genuinely interested in the crib. She bought the crib for it's full price and she and her husband drove off (no, they didn't have a horse and buggy) back to Iowa, where I'm sure the crib will get used for many generations to come.
At least I can laugh at myself, yeah, I need to get out more!


1 comment:
yikes!! I prefer to meet people in a public parking lot to buy/sell craigslist items, if at all possible. glad to hear you had a funny ending to your story!!
Post a Comment