Monday, April 12, 2010

Like Mother, Like Daughter?

Ok, so I've been told that when I was a little girl I was quite active. One might have even called me devilish, or mean, or determined, or stubborn...ok, you get the point. There were "stories" of how when I was two I would pester my sister by running at full speed at her (while she was playing nicely with her back turned to me) and tackle her. Apparently I would do this over and over and laugh and laugh at what I had just done even though Kelly would cry. I had trouble believing this for the longest time because as an adult I do not display any of these tendencies. However, as of lately, I have to admit I am starting to believe these "tall tales". The reason for this sudden change of heart is due to Kylie's recent behavior. Here are a few examples...

#1: A week or so ago Casey and I and the girls went out to eat at Outback with my parents. The ENTIRE time we sat in the booth Kylie bounced around from her booster to Casey's lap, to my lap, back to her booster, etc. She was a terror and I'm pretty sure the people in the booths on both sides of us were thoroughly annoyed.

#2: On several occasions I have asked Kylie to do simple things such as to leave the kitchen because the stove was hot, or to not stand on the arm of the rocking chair because she might fall, or to stay downstairs at daycare because that's where we need to be, etc. In all of these cases, whenever she is asked to do something, she flashes her most devilish smile and does the opposite!

#3: My last example involves her clothing. For some reason Kylie thinks it's funny to take off her socks and pants and run around. When it's just Casey, me and the girls and we're inside, it's not a big deal. We have no problem letting either of the girls run around naked down to their undies/diaper. However, it is not ok to do this during daycare. When I tell her to put her clothes back on, she runs away, or up the stairs or down the hallway, cackling!

Today, I had finally had enough of her running away and laughing at me when I told her to put her clothes back on. My solution was to have her sit in her room with her door shut (instead of downstairs in the hallway where she normally sits when she is naughty) since she doesn't know how to open doors yet. Oh did she cry! I was tough though, and stood outside the door waiting for her 2 minutes to be up. To my surprise, with only half of the punishment over, she opened the door! Deflated, all I could do was smile as she looked surprisingly up at me and giggled. I did the whole stern talk telling her that she needed to start listening when mommy tells her something, blah, blah, blah, etc., and we went back downstairs without further incident. Ugh, will I ever get through to her?! To my mom and dad and to Kelly; I apologize for being a terror. I finally believe the stories because I have an exact duplicate in Kylie! YIKES!

Kylie, the new bully in town:


No comments: