Friday, February 5, 2010

School Screening



In Minnesota, in order to enter kindergarten, your child must undergo a screening at age 3, at age 4, and the 5 year screening is done in the fall of the first year of kindergarten. After much anticipation on Camryn's part, we finally had her 3 year screening last night. She has been waiting to go to "school" for a couple of weeks, constantly asking if today was THE day!

Casey and I have worked with Camryn with her counting, colors, shapes, her ABC's, spelling her name, her birthday...etc., for as long as we can remember. I was amazed to find out that she is WAY ahead of the curve with where she should be at this point. We were pretty surprised to find that the level that she should be at at this point is pretty low (as far as we are concerned). I don't mean to brag, but even the teacher doing the screening said that she is pretty smart!

Camryn was given a series of tasks and questions to answer which was basically a test. For her age of 3 years and 10 months she should have gotten 16/25 correct. She got 24/25!! The questions that she got wrong was where she needed to complete the sentence "this table is made of wood and that window is made of _____". She turned to me and shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know?!". And the other one was where she was given an object and she needed to tell the teacher all about the object. When given a car, she told the teacher that it was a car and that it was yellow with red wheels. When the teacher asked what do you do with it she answered "you get in, and buckle up, and it takes you where you need to go.". She got it wrong because she didn't say that you drive it. Maybe I'm being an overprotected mom, but I think she got it right! What 3 year old drives a car?!

I can't believe my little baby is about to turn 4 and will be leaving me to go off to school in a little over a year, but I couldn't be a prouder parent! I love you so much Camryn!!!

No comments: